Constipation occurs when bowel movements become less frequent and stools become difficult to pass. It happens most often due to changes in diet or routine, or due to inadequate intake of fibre.1
Constipation increases with age and is prevalent in women.1
Pregnancy is another common cause of constipation. The reason may be partly mechanical, in that the pressure of the heavy womb compresses the intestine, and may be partly due to hormonal changes during pregnancy.2
In South Africa constipation affects nearly a third of the population. It is the most common gastrointestinal complaint in South Africa, resulting in up to 76.6 % of the general population needing to use laxatives.3
Available without a prescription.
Ask your pharmacist forAgiolax®
Agiolax® Laxative Granules contain 3 natural ingredients: Senna, Ispaghula husk and Plantago Ovata for the effective yet gentle relief of constipation.1, 4, 5
Agiolax® provides overnight relief from constipation.7
When taken at night, it provides relief the next morning7
The 3 in 1 combination of natural active ingredients in Agiolax® helps to normalise bowel movement1, 4, 5, 6
Agiolax® can be used during the first 3 months of pregnancy only if constipation cannot be remedied by a change in diet or with the aid of bulking agents. It should only be used after consultation with a medical practitioner
Agiolax® can be
used in the first
3 months of
(after consultation with a medical practitioner)
Benefits of Agiolax®
Agiolax® contains a unique 3 in 1 combination of Senna which is a mild stimulant with Ispaghula and Plantago Ovata which are natural fibres, this combination softens and bulks the stool
The natural fibres in Agiolax® help the body to facilitate stool movement naturally
Agiolax® is more effective than products with fibre alone and more efficient than lactulose-based products in the treatment of constipation5
Agiolax® Laxative Granules are scientifically formulated to dissolve slowly in the colon allowing for gentle relief of constipation. Contains a combination of natural ingredients which help the body facilitate stool movement, naturally7
Ispaghula husk 0,11 g
Seeds of Plantago Ovata 2,60 g
Tinnevelly senna pods 0,34 g – 0,66 g
(corresponds to 15 mg sennoside B)
How to take Agiolax®
Agiolax® a natural solution for constipation:
1 – 2 heaped teaspoons of granules or ½ - 1 sachet (5-10 g)
Swallow granules whole with a full glass of liquid
To be taken after the evening meal and can be repeated before breakfast
Agiolax® is available as:
10 g Sachets for your convenience, small single doses for people on the go!
Containers of 100 g, 250 g, 400 g, 1000 g – Perfect for home or office
3. Wintola OA, Sunmonu TO, Afolayan AJ. The effect of Aloe ferox Mill. in the treatment of loperamide-induced constipation in Wistar rats. BMC Gastroenterology 2010;10:95.
4. Wang X, Yin J. Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Chronic Constipation. Evidenced-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2015:1-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/396396.
5. Kinnunen O, Winblad I, Koistinen P, Salokannel J. Safety and Efficacy of a Bulk Laxative Containing Senna versus Lactulose in the Treatment of Chronic Constipation in Geriatric Patients. Pharmacology 1993;47(Suppl1):253-255.
6. Jalanka J, Major G, Murray K, Singh G, Nowak A, Kurtz C, et al. The Effect of Psyllium Husk on Intestinal Microbiota in Constipated Patients and Healthy Controls. Int J Mol Sci 2019;20:433; doi: 10.3390/ijms20020433.
7. Agiolax® Summary of Product Characteristics. Megapharm Ltd. September 2015.
S0 AGIOLAX®. Reg. No. E/11.5/0988. 5 g granules contains: Seeds of Plantago ovata 2,6 g, Ispaghula husk 0,11 g, Tinnevelly senna pods 0,34 g – 0,66 g (corresponds to 15 mg sennoside B). For full prescribing information, refer to the professional information approved by the Regulatory Authority. Xixia Pharmaceuticals (Pty) Ltd. Reg No: 1991/003162/07. 4 Brewery Street, Isando, Kempton Park, 1600. Tel: (011) 451 1300 Fax: (011) 451 1400 www.mylansa.co.za M3043 Exp: 03/2022.
The purpose of this site is primarily to provide information and support.
Information and advice provided on this site is intended as support for constipation sufferers.
This site is not intended to endorse specific products as well as not to replace medical advice and medical diagnosis.